Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Pandan Chiffon Cake

COVID - 9

I can certainly say that this is my favourite cake! And it has to be baked by me!
My family as well as the extended family also love this very much, especially the old folks. It is soft and fragrant.

I learnt this from Creative Culinaire in one of the baking courses that I took with them many years ago. The course was informative and well conducted as the instructor explained some basic concepts well and also demonstrated the "stiff peak" egg-white status required for a successful chiffon cake.


Ingredients :
(7" inch cake from chiffon tin)

3 eggs (separate the yolks from the whites)
70g sugar
1/8 tsp salt
20g corn oil
36g coconut milk
54g cake flour
1/4tsp pandan paste
1/8tsp cream of tartar


Method :
1) Pre-heat oven at 190deg
2) Place yolks in mixing bowl. Pour in sugar (30g out of the total 70g) gradually while beating the mixture till a light yellow stage.
3) Mix in the coconut milk, corn oil and pandan paste at low speed. Mix till smooth.
4) Sieve the flour and salt.
5) Combine the flour with yolk mixture and mix till smooth.
5) Whisk the egg whites till frothy and then add in the sugar (remaining 40g) over 2-3times. Add in  cream of tartar. Whisk till mixture reaches stiff peaks.
6) Take 1/3 of the egg-white mixture and fold into the flour mixture.
7) Transfer the mixed mixture in step (6) into the remaining 2/3 egg white mixture. Continue to fold till well combined.
8) Pour the mixture in a tube pan. Drop the pan above table top for a few times to release any trapped bubbles. Bake till cooked at 190deg for about 30 minutes.


After thoughts :
1) I use store-bought pandan paste. Thus, to let the cake have more pandan flavour, I will add in some pandan essence.
2) I use 170deg for my oven
3) I also add in 1/4tsp baking powder in step (4). Sieving it with the mixture


No comments:

Post a Comment